Wednesday, March 25, 2015
Quick Spiralized Zucchini and Grape Tomatoes
Recipe and Photo from Skinny Taste
Servings: 2 • Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 2 • Weight Watcher Points+: 3 pt
Calories: 117 • Fat: 5 g • Carb: 20 g • Fiber: 5 g • Protein: 4 g • Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 31 mg • Cholest: 0 mg
In a large non-stick pan set over high heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook until golden, 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, and crushed red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered, until the tomatoes soften, 15 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high, stir in the zucchini and basil, season with salt and cook 2 minutes. Serve right away.
Makes 2 cups.
Creamy Tomato & Spinach Pasta
Recipe and Photo from Budget Bytes
Cost Per Serving: $0.93
- 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.16
- 1 small onion $0.25
- 2 cloves garlic $0.16
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes $0.59
- ½ tsp dried oregano $0.03
- ½ tsp dried basil $0.03
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional) $0.02
- freshly cracked pepper to taste $0.05
- ½ tsp salt $0.03
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste $0.11
- 2 oz. cream cheese $0.48
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan $0.42
- ½ lb. penne pasta $0.89
- ½ (9 oz.) bag fresh spinach $0.50
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender (7-10) minutes. Drain the pasta in a colander.
- While waiting for the pasta to cook, dice the onion and mince the garlic. Cook both in a large skillet with the olive oil over medium-low heat until softened and transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the diced tomatoes (with juices), oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper to the skillet with the onions and garlic. Stir to combine. Add the tomato paste and a ½ cup of water to the skillet and stir until the tomato paste is dissolved into the sauce.
- Turn the heat down to low. Cut the cream cheese into a few pieces and then add them to the skillet with the tomato sauce. Use a whisk to stir the sauce until the cream cheese has fully melted in and the sauce is creamy. Add half of the Parmesan to the skillet and whisk until it is melted in. Add the remainder of the parmesan and whisk until melted in again.
- Add the fresh spinach and gently stir it into the sauce until it has wilted (3-5 minutes). Add the pasta and stir until it is well coated in the creamy tomato sauce. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.
Cinnamon Roll Bread
Recipe and Photo from Center Cut Cook
Prep Time: 10mn
Cook Time: 50mn
Total Time: 1hr
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg - room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk - I used 1%
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Pre-heat our oven to 350 degrees and prepare a bread pan (about 9x5 inches) by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray or lightly greasing it with butter.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a small bowl combine egg, milk, vanilla extract and yogurt or sour cream.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir to combine. You can use a large wooden spoon for this if you wish, no mixer is required.
- In a small bowl combine swirl ingredients together - 1/3 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2 tablespoons water. Use a tablespoon to drop spoonfuls of this mixture over the bread, then use a knife to make swirl designs to incorporate the cinnamon mixture into the bread.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and transfer it to a cooling rack to cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze ingredients by combining 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon milk.
- Remove the bread from the pan and allow it to continue cooling completely.
- When the bread has completely cooled, pour the glaze over the top and serve.